Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Are the Good Days Gone?


I love Mike Timlin. He seems like a great guy. I'm sure there are tons of benefits to keep the veteran clubhouse guy on the roster, but I've begun to cringe everytime he takes the mound. While it's not as bad as when Gagne' took the mound last season, I do have to watch through my fingers. I do assume that Timlin will give up a homerun. Granted, I am occasionally pleasantly surprised. But on a night when the rest of the was glorious, the Sox handed the Mariners the win. While the Mariners went for it, taking the risk by throwing JJ Putz, their closer, in the ninth. We played it, uh, safe, I guess, by saving our best for last. Last never came.

While some pitchers recreate themselves, replacing velocity with command, Timlin hasn't exactly done this. Sad as it is to say, I think it might be time for Timmy to retire. Or at least be reserved for days when the game has been decided long before the ninth...

No comments: