Thursday, December 27, 2007

Santana Clause

I never wanted Santana. And I'm not just saying that because it's looking like we won't get him. I don't want the Sox to buy success when they don't need to. I don't want to trade Ellsbury or Lester or Buckholz. I don't even want to trade Coco Crisp. But I'm all about the loyalty.

Don't get me wrong though.. I can sure see the benefits of two Cy Young candidates in the rotation! But nonetheless, I came across this at yahoo! today and felt a little relieved....
The trade talks with both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees are stalemated, however, the President of the Minnesota Twins told the St. Paul Pioneer Press Wednesday the team is serious about keeping Johan Santana in the Twin Cities.
The Twins have offered Santana, who already is guaranteed $13 million for 2008, an additional four years for a guaranteed $80 million. That contract would make Santana the highest-paid pitcher in baseball with a multi year deal.
"That remains our goal, our first choice, and I'm not going to veer from that," Minnesota team president Dave St. Peter said. "We are comfortable with that scenario if that's the best thing for the Twins' organization. Right now, Johan Santana is our opening night starter against the Los Angeles Angels and Torii Hunter, and I like our chances (of winning)."

No comments: