Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Fenway Flashback: There Goes My Hero

June 07, 2007
McAfee Coliseum

I cried when I read the Mitchell Report. To be honest, I couldn't finish it. I had skipped to the part about Roger Clemens and part way through the detailed description of the injections to his ass, I had to stop. I loved Roger Clemens. I think I was born a Red Sox fan. I think it had something to do with my mother crossing state lines for an emergency C-section, just for me to be born in Massachusetts. I was meant to be a Red Sox fan. But Roger Clemens sealed the deal. Those years in the 80s and 90s when he threw dozens of Ks per game were the years when I was old enough to get it. I was playing ball and pitching and I couldn't have possibly had a more inspirational role model. I wore the number 21 for my entire pitching career.

I read Curt Schilling's blog about the Mitchell Report and I felt his words when he wrote about how the accusations against Clemens affected him -- how Clemens had inspired him and how it broke his heart to learn that Clemens wasn't quite the man Schilling had believed he was. It broke my heart too, Schill...

And that is why this lovely moment brought me to tears.

Curt threw 8 shut-out innings. No hits... At 40 years old... And after the Sox lost the first 3 games of the series and after Schilling had had several less than stellar outings... Here is the ninth inning. ..

Red Sox win 1-0 in a complete, one-hit game, by Curt Schilling.


Curt Schilling, unlike many who have come before, is a true hero. A great athlete and a great man... A great role model... He makes me proud to be a Red Sox fan and I am so proud he will retire as a Boston Red Sox. Thank you, #38...

No comments: